Monday 25 August 2014

Pop-up box card

This was my first attempt at making a pop-up box card.


I saw these on TV where they were selling kits of die-cut boxes and flowers and I thought to myself "the box would be easy to construct and I make my own flowers, so....".  So I worked it out and made one.
I started with a sheet of card and scored it at 7, 14, 21 and 28cm. This left a tab at the end to glue the structure together.  I then scored across the tab and the next three panels at 10cm down.  I cut down the 10cm score line between each of the panels and the tab, folded the card at all the score lines and cut the top of the tab off, as you only need to glue the bottom.  Before construction, I embossed two A4 papers with two different X-Cut embossing folders.  From one paper I cut three panels of 10.5 x 6.5cm.  From the other I cut three panels of 9.5 x 6.5cm and one panel of 20.5 x 6.5cm.  I coloured all of these panels with Bundled Sage Distress Ink.  I laid the card down flat and glued the first three green panels to the bottom panels of the card.  I then folded the top panels down and stuck the next three green panels onto these.
The next stage was to construct the box.  I put wet glue, or you could use strong double-sided tape, onto the tab and stuck the box together so that the tab is on the inside.  I stuck the final green panel onto the inside back panel, thus covering the tab and giving a nicer finish.
The next step was decoration.  I used two borders that I cut from the Joy Crafts Butterfly Border die, coloured them with Shaded Lilac Distress Ink and put these around the base of the box.  The large butterfly is the Demure Butterfly from Tattered Lace, which I coloured to match the butterfly border around the base.  The other butterflies are the Cheery Lynn Small Exotic Butterflies with angel wings, which I coloured using Spectrum Noir alcohol pens.  I cut the Tattered Lace Mini Blooms and Beautiful Blooms several times, coloured them with Spectrum Noir pens to match with the other colours used, shaped them and layered them up to create dimension.  I finished off by adding pearls to the flowers which hadn't already got a centre.

Oops, have got to edit this as I missed a bit - as if it isn't long enough already.  When constructing the box I cut two additional pieces of card measuring 8x1.5cm, scored in from each end at 0.5cm and folded into a Z shape. I added a 6.5x1cm strip of the green embossed paper to each and glued these pieces horizontally into the box, lining the top each to the top of the box.  I cut three strips of 1cm card and coloured it green (you could also use acetate) and stuck one of the butterflies onto each.  These were then glued to the strips going across.

No comments:

Post a Comment